Child Support

How to get an Order for Child Support


  • First, you must file a case with the Clerk of the Court.
  • If you already have filed a case but no support has been set, then you must file a motion asking the Court to set child support.
    • If both parties agree to the amount of support as established by the Michigan Child Support Formula, you may make an appointment with the FOC to assist you in preparing a Consent Order.
    • If you have an agreed Order then no hearing will be necessary to establish or change the support obligation. However, BOTH parties must sign the agreed Order or it will not be accepted. Further, if the agreed Order does not follow the Michigan Child Support Formula, you must also submit a Deviation Addendum that specifically says why it does not follow the Formula. You must set out why the Formula is unfair and inappropriate in your case.
    • If a party is receiving public assistance for the minor child(ren), no deviations from the Formula will be approved by agreement of the parties.
  • You must request a hearing on the matter. Contact the FOC for instructions on requesting a hearing under these circumstances.

Child Support FAQs


Friend of the Court

Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 4:30 pm


24 Hour Toll Free
Account Information Line



31 S. Division Street
Coldwater, MI 49036

Lona Julien
Friend of the Court Director/Domestic Relations Referee